The Californians is a recurring sketch on Saturday Night Live which parodies a soap opera and features Karina (played by Kristen Wiig), Devin (played by Bill Hader), Stuart (played by Fred Armisen), Trey (played by Kenan Thompson) and Rosa (played by Vanessa Bayer), who is also the only brunette, as wealthy blondes with Valley Girl accents exaggerated to the point of incoherence. Throughout the melodramatic plot developments in the sketch, much of the dialogue consists of descriptions of freeway routes taken from place to place. Each installment includes three scenes, each of which ends with all of the characters in the room crowded around a single mirror and gazing at their own reflections.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- April 14, 2012 - Josh Brolin as Greg
- May 19, 2012 - Mick Jagger as Timothy; Steve Martin as the amnesia victim
- October 13, 2012 - Christina Applegate as Brie
- November 17, 2012 - Jeremy Renner as Craig
- February 9, 2013 - Justin Bieber as the runaway kid
- May 11, 2013 - Kristen Wiig as Brad/Karina
- Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special - Laraine Newman, Bradley Cooper, Kerry Washington, Taylor Swift and Betty White
- March 17, 2018 - Bill Hader as Devin, Fred Armisen as Stuart
In popular culture[edit | edit source]
- The Californians sketch was referenced in the first issue of "America Chavez: Made in the USA" which was published by Marvel Comics in March of 2021.